How we build our cities is always going to be intertwined with politics. This episode is the second of two episodes where John talks to urbanists who have become politicians.
In the last episode, John talked to Jyoti Gondek, a city councilor in Calgary, about what it’s like to be a urbanist turned politician at the municipal scale.
Today, John talks to Andy Fillmore, a Member of Parliament, about what it’s like to be an urbanist turned politician at the national scale.
In this episode, Andy and John talk about:
- Why urban planning is an important profession that is going to help save the world.
- The National Housing Strategy: a 10 year, 40 billion dollar strategy that was announced by the Liberal government in late 2017.
- Why investing in infrastructure is important (even though it is seen as an un-sexy topic).
- How citizens can get involved in political decision making.
- Learn about the Halifax Central Library
- Follow Andy on Twitter @AndyFillmoreHFX