We love asking our guests to share a city they love and why. The city lovers we’ve had on the podcast generally find this tough to answer, as most enjoy a bunch of cities. Often, they cheat and list more than one city, but because I’m an understanding person, I allow it. The answers we’ve received have been insightful and inspiring, so we thought we would put together a super-cut highlighting the cities that our guests have listed as places they adore. Warning: what you’re about to hear might increase your desire to travel.
The Olympics are often remembered for the moments that happen during the event, but we thought we’d explore an example of the built legacy that Olympics and large scale events leave behind. Today, we’re going to dive into the history of Olympic Plaza in Calgary.
This episode explores the decisions made and key lessons learned from the construction of Calgary’s Olympic Plaza. Today, Calgary is grappling with the possibility of bidding on the 2026 Olympics, so Olympic infrastructure is top of mind for many Calgarians.
Let’s rewind a few decades to learn about how and why the plaza began. Today’s guest is Richard Parker.
When we talk about cities, developers are often the only businesses that get discussed. But how can other companies contribute to a city? To explore this question, we wanted to talk to someone that has helped spearhead a purpose driven business with community at the heart of the operation.
Jim Button is the co-founder of Village Brewery, a brewery based in Calgary, AB. Since day one, 10% of the company’s bottom line has gone towards supporting Calgary’s arts and community.
In this episode Jim and John talk about:
- The importance of finding purpose
- Calgary’s changing culture
- How pubs and breweries can catalyze a community
- Learn more about Village Brewery
- Check out the Esker Foundation
- Find out what places make Calgarians happy – Happy YYC
- Microbreweries invigorating neighbourhoods across Canada: U of R geographer
- Learn more about Inglewood, a Calgary neighbourhood mentioned by Jim
- Discover the 2017 Word of the Year
- Email us about your favourite community-drive brewery. email@example.com
- Learn more about the work we do at Intelligent Futures